Expanding Education

St. Albert, 1978.

By 1950 the town population had again reached 1,000 and there was already a need for additional classroom space. A new building opened for grades five and six at the base of the hill (the two-storey building to the right of the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception). It quickly expanded to include students up to grade twelve. It is now occupied by the Northern Alberta Business Incubator (NABI). It was only a few more years before there was a need for even more space. St. Albert High School opened in 1956, just west of the existing building, and the older grades moved in from next door. As needs changed, the school began housing younger grades and in 1968 it became the new Father Jan School. The original two-room ‘Little White School’ became known as the Father Jan Annex.


L’expansion des écoles

En 1950, la population de St-Albert était à nouveau de 1000 habitants, donc il fallait davantage d’espace pour des salles de classe. Alors, une école a été construite pour les 5e et 6e années au pied de la colline (le bâtiment à deux étages à droite de la chapelle de l’Immaculée Conception). Rapidement, des classes pour les élèves de la 7e à la 12e année ont été ajoutées. Aujourd’hui, ce bâtiment est occupé par le Northern Alberta Business Incubator (NABI). Quelques années plus tard, il y a eu un nouveau besoin de plus d’espace. St-Albert High School a ouvert ses portes en 1956 à l’ouest de l’école actuelle, et les élèves des niveaux plus élevés se sont déplacés ici. Les besoins ont changé au fil des années et les plus jeunes se sont ajoutés, en 1968, cette école devint la nouvelle école Father Jan School. L’école « Little White School » est maintenant connue sous le nom Father Jan Annex.


ayiwâk kakiskinohamâkosihk

ispî 1950 ôcênâs kîspihcâw kihci-mitâtahtomitanaw isko, êkwa âsay enitawêyihcikatêk êmisâk kiskinohamâtowikamikosis. oskâyi-kamikos kîyôtenikâtêw ohci aniki kâhayamihtâcik niyânan êkwa nikotwâsik anita nihcâyihk ispacinâsihk (nîs’wâw êhisihispâk kamikos ayâw kihciniskihk Chapel of the Immaculate
Conception). kîcacâstapimihcêtinâniwiw êkosi êkota mîna okiskinohamâkanak kakiskinohamâkosicik aniki nîsosâp kâhayamihtâcik. êkota êkwa ayâwak Northern Alberta Business Incubator (NABI). piyisk ayiwâk êkînitawêyicikâtêk St. Albert High School kîyôtênikâtêw 1956, pahkisimôtâhk anita anima kâstek mêkwâc kamikos, êkwa aniki ayiwâk kâhayamihtâcik kîpêhâtohtêwak. pîtos kâtayispayik, ayiwâk êkwa oskâyisak êkota êkiskinohamâkosicik êkota ohci 1968 oski Father Jan School kîhitakon. kayahtê ohci anima ita nîso piskihcikamikosa ‘kâhapisâsik wâpiskikiskinohamâcowikamikos’ êhisinistawêyicikâtêk Father Jan Annex.