Schools on the Hill

Father MéŽrer School, [1909 – 1958].

In the early years of the Mission, a number of schools operated on Mission Hill. As the population grew and the buildings became too small and too old, a new, public, two-storey brick school was constructed part way up the hill. The Father Mérer School, known as the ‘Brick School’, opened in 1909. It was demolished in 1960. A cairn now marks its original location (below and to the right). If you look down to the left you’ll see the original Father Jan School known as the ‘Little White School’. The two-room school was built in 1948 to accommodate grade one and two classes. Now one of the City’s Municipal Historic Resources, the school is used for programs and events run by the Musée Héritage Museum.


Les écoles sur la colline

Plusieurs écoles ont été construites sur la colline de la Mission et cela dès les premières années. Lorsque la population s’est accrue et que les bâtiments sont devenus trop petits et trop vieux, une nouvelle école publique à deux étages faite de briques a été construite à mi-chemin sur la colline en 1909. L’école a été nommée après le Père Mérer et était connue sous le nom « the Brick School » (l’école en briques). Celle-ci a été démolie en 1960. Un cairn a été placé pour marquer son emplacement original (en bas vers la droite). La petite école blanche (Little White School) sur la gauche vers le bas de la colline est la première école Father Jan School. Cette école à deux salles a été construite en 1948 pour une classe de première et de deuxième année. Elle est maintenant une ressource historique municipale de la ville et est utilisée pour des programmes et des évènements du Musée Héritage Museum.


kiskinohamâtowikamikwa kâhayâki ispatinâhk

nistam askiya ôta ayamihewînînâhk, mihcêt kiskinohamâtowikamikwa kîpimpayitâniwiw anita ayamihewînînâhk waciy. êhati-mihcêtihk ekwa kamikwa tâkayiwâk kîhatihapisâsinwa ekwa kayâsi-wâskahikana, oskâya, kahkiyaw awiyak ohci, nîso isko ehispîhcâk êhasinihkahtêki kiskinohamâtowikamikwa êkîhosihtâhk âpihtawaniw ispatinâsihk. Father Mérer kiskinohamâtowikamik, êhisinistawêyicikâtêk ‘the Brick School’, kîmâcipayin 1909. Kîpîkonikâtêw 1960. asinîw kiskinowâcihcikan êkota apiw (sîpâ ekwa kihtiniskêhk isi). kêtâpiyan sîpâ isi nawâc namahtinihk isi kawâpahtên kayahtê Father Jan kiskinohamâtowikamik ênistawêyicikâtêk isi ‘kâ apisâsik wâpiskikiskinohamâcowikamikos’ nîso piskihcikamikosa kiskinohamâtowikamik kîhosihcikâtêwa 1948 ita kakiskinohamâkosicik aniki pêyak êkwa nîso kâhayamihtâcik. êwako êkwa ôma City’s Municipal Historic Resources, kiskinohamâtowikamik ôma âpatan ohci isihcikêwina ahpô ohci kîkway kâhitâkamikahk êpaminahk Musée Héritage kayâs âcimowikamik.