The Chevigny brothers and their families came to St. Albert in 1880 from Quebec and were part of an influx of Francophones who settled in the area.
The two-story log house was built in the late 1880’s making it one of the oldest remaining settlers’ structures in the province. The family lived in the house until the early 1960’s when the house was converted into a barn. The family sold their farmland in 2007 and the building was relocated to River Lot 24 in 2008.
The Friends of la Maison Chevigny was formed in 2009 and the committee is raising funds towards the restoration of the Chevigny House.
La Maison Chevigny is currently on its temporary location on River Lot 24; its move to a permanent location on River Lot 23 is dependent on the next phase of the Heritage Sites Functional Plan. In preparation for the move, Arts and Heritage has worked with David Murray Architect on the design of the basement that will be required when it is moved to its permanent location. Arts and Heritage has continued its efforts to stabilize and protect the house. These steps included the removal of the horizontal exterior siding to expose the exterior vertical siding, cleaning the interior and a heat treatment to sterilize the structure and to eradicate histoplasmosis and hanta virus pathogens. The next steps for la Maison Chevigny include replacing the logs and repairs to the roof.